OMENS


Broken Mirror

Twisted cowries at my feet;
The eyes of the gods are red-rimmed.
The chalk encircles the window
That looks deep into the fiery depths.
The tom-tom ululates my thoughts,
Fear stretch cold dark fingers in.


Salt is thrown backwards, over the shoulder;
Twice a stone did toast my big toe
That did bleed into the cold earth.
A owl hooted and shadows
Lengthened across the ceiling.
Fear encompasses me, I fear.

A lizard passed between her legs;
Her water pot broke at the pathways
That did spill into the parched green.
The dogs barked into the night
As all the lights flickered on and off.
She curls in wet fear under her bed.

Stupid man! Omens, portents,
Warnings intended to chide the deaf.
Listen to the songs and signs,
Hear the words spoken in the dark.
The light will crush, the dark will storm
But you,....
you may live.

photo credit:  http://news.jeebboo.com/2012/09/09/superstitious-why-even-rational-people-hate-to-tempt-fate/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts are With You

WHAT DO YOU SEE

THE TEACHER’S RHYME