My Thoughts are With You

Delta Steel Company Ovwain-Aladja is a tale that grips the heart and makes you ponder on man's insensate actions and how it affects other men. A company built from the proceeds of the oil boom of the 80's in Nigeria, has been left, bereft and abandoned with legs splayed like a oversexed prostitute. Retired staff are dying each and everyday, their eyes ever to light on the proceeds of decades of loyal service. Facilities and utilities left abandoned.
This company was a big dream of development and economic empowerment outside crude, but the relentless cruel few have thrown her into the dustbin of history. Those of us who grew up there; whose education was fostered among superb educators; whose parents had worked there, we have felt the care of the Nigerian government. Yes, they have shown us what it means to strive; we shall strive and indeed overcome.

This poem is dedicated to the entire former staff, staff, including those that have passed away (May they rest in perfect peace) of Delta Steel Company; Ex Students and present students of D.S.C Technical School, Primary Schools 1-4 and Challenge Academy. Our Strength and resolve remains strong. We shall overcome. peace



MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU TODAY


D.S.C Township, my thoughts are on you today.
I remember your buildings vividly
Like an HD view of a documentary on pain.
I remember White House
With yellowing walls, port-holed roads
And stinking gutters.
I remember Yellow House
With whitening walls, forgotten playground
And uncompleted dreams.

I remember Red House;
The Indian’s remnants,
Light red storey buildings.
The ghetto of this ghetto paradise.
I remember Permanent Camp
The paradise of the ghetto.
(Used to think it was heaven on earth)
Weed grown roads, silent pain on heady afternoons.

I remember Camp Extension;
Fakers club.
(Used to call it extension camp)
Where everyone wore a smile and talked through noses
That had smelt poorly made stew without meat.
I remember the basketball courts,
Swimming pools, lawn tennis court
Where we pretended we had it all.
I remember my steel town today.
I remember Mobile Camp
The outskirts of my thoughts doth skirts
Your bushy rendezvous.

I remember T.H.S that hath fallen
Like the colossus at Rhodes.
I remember Atumu Pre-Nursery
Where my education was fostered.
I remember School One
Aunty Onai, Aunty Stella, Mr Efebomo and all

I remember School Two, the twin of the secondary
With an open air auditorium and little field
Now empty and abandoned.
I remember School Three
Friends I had there,
Friends till date.
I remember School Four
Misbegotten and misconceived
Out of relaxed and marinated brains

Competitors for cups at inter-school meets
With parents cheering on struggling kids
In school vests carrying banners proudly
Depicting their school badge in the wind.
I remember and I weep.
I weep Oh D.S.C!
My hometown cause I know no other.
I weep for I see you
With my child eyes;
Bold and beautiful,
Symmetrical and carefully laid out.
I see you in the morning buses
That picked daddy for work
And brought him back home
I hear you in the alarms that rang
In the mornings and evenings

I weep for I see you now
With my adult eyes;
Dirty and abandoned,
Bereft and dislocated.
I see you in the men gathered around newsstands
Jobless, hopeless, hungry and bitter.
Alarms ring no more,
Padlocks only jingle in the wind.

I see you my steel town.
My thoughts revolve around you today.

Hub Topics

Comments

  1. Lord have mercy. It is well. Nice piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks boss @Kohwo. At least the memory remains, even though NDDC has renovated major roads and wealthy iindividuals are building structures every where these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! D.S.C my D.S.C, how I miss my steel town. It is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm, it is well. We still believe that one day, the voices of the dead will speak on behalf of those living. As long as a former staff is still living; as long as their children are living, hustling, growing; hope will never die. thanks.

      Delete
  5. This brought out tears. Touching piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually teared up while reading dis piece...DSC,Wow a giant dat has been reduced to a dwarf but its well....I miss my school 2 days,ahh THS,every structure dat had pride n elegance reduced to a shadow...u will rise again,ur children will neva forget u..we will make u rise again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sire/ma. It is the prayer of everyone. DSC will indeed rise from the ashes of mismanagement and corruption. I am glad, my poem made you feel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

please no lewd or pejorative language, spam or insults. Such comments will be deleted. Thank you

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT DO YOU SEE

THE TEACHER’S RHYME